Tuesday, March 9, 2010

How To Be Creative :: From School-Age Notes

The following was taken from an e-newsletter from School-Age Notes and is being shared with permission. We hope it will inspire you as much as it did us!

"Trust that little voice in your head that says, 'Wouldn't it be interesting if ...' And then do it." Duane Michals, American photographer
At Sunday nights Academy Awards ceremony, Michael Giacchino won an Oscar for best Original Score for the movie Up.
His acceptance speech, which was less than a minute, provided an inspirational message for anyone who works with children:

"When I was 9 I asked my dad, 'Can I have your movie camera, that old wind-up 8 millimeter camera that was in your drawer?' And he goes, 'Sure, take it.' And I took it and I started making movies with it and I started being as creative as I could and never once in my life did my parents ever say, 'What you're doing is a waste of time.' Never. And I grew up. I had teachers, I had colleagues, I had people that I worked with all through my life who were always telling me 'What you're doing is not a waste of time.' So that was normal to me that it was okay to do that. I know there are kids out there that don't have that support system, so if you're out there and you're listening, listen to me: If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time. Do it.


Encourage the children and youth in your after-school program to work toward their dreams, whether they want to go to college, go to Hollywood or go to the moon.

www.schoolagenotes.com

No comments: